ADMISSION FREE ORGAN RECITALS ON SUNDAY EVENINGS

The sound of “King’s Organ”, the largest musical instrument in Budapest, fills the finest acoustic space in the city. The organ was made in the Budapest works of Ottó Rieger in 1909, financed by a donation which Francis Joseph made on the 40th anniversary of his coronation as King of Hungary. It has been rebuilt several times since then. Having been severely damaged in the Second World War, it was completely refurbished only in 1983-84, in the Rieger-Kloss organ works in Czechoslovakia. From 2009 to 2014, the organ was taken for refurbishment to the Organ Manufacturing Company of Pécs. The finished organ was blessed by Cardinal Péter Erdő on 16 November 2014. The great organ in the choir gallery is integrated with a new, smaller organ (built in 2010) in the gallery above the sacristy. The gallery organ can be played independently, while its console can also remotely operate the great organ. The complete system has 111 stops, 7771 pipes and 18 tubular bells.The largest pipe is 10.6 m long and weighs 175 kg, the smallest one measures 8 mm and weighs 60 g. A portable copy of the choir gallery's five-manual console is displayed in the main nave, but it can be placed anywhere in the church. Both consoles can control the great organ and the gallery organ together and their memory can store 10.000 tone-colour combinations. The organ can be played by up to four organists simultaneously, using four consoles attached to it. 

Upcoming dates:  
27th of August • Áchim Erzsébet    
8th of October • Hock Bertalan    
29th of October • Kovács Szilárd 
19th of November • Horváth Márton Levente    
17th of December • Erdődy János